– I’m sorry.
— What for?
– For being annoying about this. For letting you down.
— You haven’t annoyed me or let me down.
– Are you sure? I feel like I have.
— I’m sure.
– I still feel guilty though.
— You really don’t need to.
– But I do. It’s there. This itch in my chest because I’ve been selfish–
— –how have you been selfish?
– I put myself first.
— You’re allowed to put yourself first sometimes.
— Shush. You’re allowed to put yourself first sometimes. It doesn’t make you selfish.
– Yes it does. That’s the definition of selfish. It makes me a bad person.
— You are NOT a bad person. You need to look after yourself. That isn’t selfish.
– But how do you know where the balance is? When to do what you want to and when to just suck it up and get on with it?
— Feeling happy is normally a pretty good indicator of that. Are you happy at the moment?
– Yeah. Well. No. But I feel closer than usual.
— Then keep doing what you need to to get there.